5.8.11

Flower Power

I participated in a quick workshop beside the lake Balaton, in Hungary. I'm interested in sustainable techniques so mark making with plants made me very exited. Instead of jumping right into the water I spent a couple of hours on a bench but it worth it. Although the final piece isn't my kind of taste but this technique is very interesting and made me think how could I use it for something else.


First we collected some flowers, leaves, berries and put them between two sheets of 100% cotton fabrics. Then we hammered the top layer for ages...pretty hard work.


 separation



We cleaned the surfaces  with a sharp knife and ironed the back of the fabrics to make the 'dyes' more permanent.


With a special fine liner for textiles we drew the outlines of the forms.

And the ready pieces...they look like illustrations from a vintage tale book rather than textile designs but using flowers as a dye really made me think.