2.2.12

i - make project





 I've done some research on current fashion trends and realised that checked pattern is actually really trendy. Prada's Fall 2011 collection was my main inspiration during this project, especially in terms of colour.






I stated to experiment with thicker fabrics because of the bag design but quickly realised that they don't really work. I've tried discharging and devoré techniques on wool and silk viscose velvet but none of them give me a sharp enough result.



Here I printed bigger size QR codes onto top of each other. I really like this  texture on velvet. Although it didn't work I'll keep experimenting with it.


During the seminars Jason, our tutor,  encouraged me to look more into how QR codes actually work. Is it possible to have a QR code printed on a design and later add the content to it (either a web address or any text)?
First I found an interesting website called QRlicious. Somehow they manage to change the QR code designs by adding different colours and illustrations into it. They look amazing and they still work. I started to play around and added simple symbols into my codes. It worked absolutely fine when I put them into the bottom right corner. It also makes the codes symmetric which looks quite nice. Although I would definitely design the symbols instead of using basic ones. 

The problem of how to add content to existing QR codes seemed to be solvable as well. I found a couple software on the internet which were free to download. They are mainly for businesses that already printed out many products (mugs, T-shirts, business cards etc.) with codes leading to their websites or to a link for a special event. Obviously they don't want to bin them but update them. The solution called dynamic QR code which can be scanned as a normal one but the content of it could be changed at any time. I couldn't manage to understand how they exactly work but they seem to redirect the code onto another website. Although if I want to make personalised bags I still would need an interactive online shop to communicate with customers what they exactly need on their piece. I wouldn't start to create random codes to random websites just to be changed right after the purchase. But once the bag ends up in a charity shop the new owner can update the codes on the bag and use it as his/her own. 

QRlicious codes

 My personalised codes:


Screen printed on cotton-satin:


 Succesful colour experiments:


 Unsuccesful ones:


It has to be fairly contrasty with the darker colour on top.

I started to concentrate on their look, and create the final design. They all worked apart from the bottom right one but it wasn't working originally either.  
 

More experiments with colour:


After three hours layering my final design emerged. They all work and I love the look as well. 

 I'm very proud of this design so I had to post my grades :) It containts a nice crit as well.